EFSD/Lilly Young Investigator Research Award Programme

Deadline for submission of applications: 15 February 2024

Programme Objective

The objective of the EFSD/Lilly Young Investigator Research Awards is to encourage innovative research in the fields of diabetes and its complications, and to promote excellence in medical education. Applicants should have demonstrated their ability in the field of diabetes research.

Research Awards will be made in the sum of Euro 50,000 (fifty thousand) each.

Award Application

Applications can be submitted by early career scientists: scientists and clinicians at an early stage of their career, up to 7 years since completion of their most recent degree (PhD, MSc, or MD degrees). Eligibility can be extended for reasons such as maternity, paternity, illness, national service, clinical training, natural disasters, or asylum, if clearly described (further documentation may be requested at the discretion of EASD/EFSD). The time since the last degree may not exceed seven years before 1 January 2024. Fellows may not hold a permanent appointment.

Applicants to all EFSD programmes are encouraged to become paid-up members of EASD. Details on how to become a member can be found on the EASD website or contact membership@easd.org for further information.

Research Awards must be held at a non-profit institution based in Europe or an associated country (for detailed country list, please see here).

Application forms may be downloaded here:

Application Form

All applications must be prepared on the official forms and completed in strict accordance with the detailed instructions to be found on these forms. Applications which do not comply with the instructions given in the application form will not be considered for review.

Please send your application as one complete PDF email attachment to foundation@easd.org by 12:00 midday (CET) on the deadline date 15 February 2024.

Completed applications will be evaluated by an independent scientific committee.

Upon completion of the Awards, the recipient may be invited to present his/her research results at a scientific meeting hosted by Lilly.

Reporting Requirements and Approval of Funding

All funded applications will receive initial funding instalment upon confirmation of the approval of the Review Committee as appropriate. 90% of the funding will be provided at the start of the programme while the remaining 10% will be paid upon submission of final scientific and financial report. All reports will be subject to assessment prior to the release of any further funds.

Investigators must provide EFSD with copies of papers accepted for publication, and must acknowledge the support of the Programme in all written material by use of the phrase: "Supported by EFSD/Lilly".


Announcement: November 2023

Application Deadline: 15 February 2024

Anticipated Award: May 2024


Enquiries should be directed to foundation@easd.org.